Friday, February 21, 2014

San Diego Teacher Pay vs New Jersey Teacher Pay


Hi there, Diamond Glamour Girls;

It is another Friday and for today I was working on a project realized this morning the San Diego School District is on Strike.  What does it mean to strike?  I love jogging and while I was on the treadmill I was thinking about this thought. As a teacher, what does it mean to me to strike. To request more money?  How much money is enough money? How much is a life worth?

I thought about the thought while I was watching the program on TV, normally I connect to the Ipod and get in the zone, however recently I have discovered the time is important while I watch TV and think the silly non-important thoughts only fools think.

What if teachers were valued as they are in Japan, where they are highly respected. They are thought to be wise and intelligent, the child knows the child will be taught a life skill.  What if the teachers in San Diego were respected enough to be paid the salary of those in "New Jersey"?  That's the US right? Would this fight continue?

It is the thought of this writer, we sell ourselves and the lives of those we love by not giving credit to teachers, by acknowledging their impact on the lives of individuals. Lets begin with the meaning of Strike:

1. Ignore or cut off communication to a person or group.
2. A racial slur used to describe a stupid person of a Jewish religion or a Jewish person that made a stupid mistake.
3. a skinny person who is good with flame-wars.

Do you feel that teachers sometimes have to cut off communication to get heard? Do you feel that teacher sometimes hear racial slurs, or religious slurs from their students, parents, co-workers, public? Do you think that teachers sometimes are held accountable of things beyond their possible ability or expectations?  Do you think that teachers sometimes have to get in between "flame-throwers or heated arguments"?  If the answer is yes to any of these then I ask why do you think New Jersey pays their beginning teachers almost twice what San Diego does?

The new teacher in the state of New Jersey is paid, $63, 720 year vs the new teacher in San Diego 31, 308 per year. What makes the New Jersey Schools better than the San Diego Schools?  What is the best position for the teachers?  Are they respected more, are they appreciated more?  I know one thing we all value money and think of it as self worth.  It has makes a big difference for me in life when an employer pays me what I am worth vs trying to nickle and dime me.

When the client knows that I am worth paying a good salary vs trying to get the cheaper deal.  I ask you why then do we not pay our teacher less than what we would want to be paid ourselves? I know I have taught for many years, parents always want, need, have expenses, want to save but the truth is so do teachers they are parents too.  I vote for Yes! Increase pay or charge parents to enroll their children into school. Throughout the year they are going to have to purchase, school books, calculators, school supplies etc.  Maybe a solution to the problem is to change parents a small monthly feel.



"The Ugly One"
That's how I am seen by my mom, how I am grateful I am "saved" by grace not by works, so that no man should boast! Teachers speaking out is seen as many things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New 2022 Blogpost will begin In June