Friday, August 23, 2013

"Who Has Control of My Ovaries?" (The Distroyer)

As life would have it that 13 year old would not see that young man for a long time.  Her friend continued to see the other boy even though her mother was not thrilled.  Funny, how life is.  At the time I though my parents were so strict. There friendship ended in a way, even though there was no anger or words ever spoken that it had ended.  I think the 13 year old knew she was not mature enough for boys.  She had had a summer crush but that didn't end well and she was glad she wasn't about to date.  Dating what is that really about, she was forbidden to date until she was 16, it was a rule set by her dad and she accepted it.

She focused on school and the arrival of a new teacher that was all the talk at.  The staff (teachers) at her school were all old. (Okay, maybe another old they were not old enough to retire. This teacher was just out of college his first teaching job.  He had been a substitute teacher at other schools but it was the first time he got a full time work.  His excitement affected a lot of his students with love of learning. He reminded her of what she had been praying for all her life. To become a teacher.  In her early years she use to line up all her dolls and pretend that she had a classroom teaching her children to read And write.  Her love for books lead her to overcome her reading disabilities she had when she was younger.

The disability had to do more with learning to read English while her family spoke another language. The price one pays for having parents who move to the states before all the formative years. You have to remember it was a time before they had dual learning and a stick policy at schools.  English only.  It is a bit of a culture shock.  Not being able to communicate all and teachers yelling at you. I never really understood why they yelled because I didn't know enough English to understand what they were talking about.  It took me getting into a fight in elementary school for the principal to understand I didn't  understand.  After that my teacher took extra time to teach me how to read and write. I went in the classroom at nutrition and stayed after school.

This teacher took the time to explain the difference of teaching in elementary school verses secondary school. He was a new person who believed in my right to be a well educated young person.  There were the girls that had crushes and talked about all the silly boy stuff. My new found focus was education therefore boys became known as destroyers.  I remember praying all the time "The troubles of my heart have enlarge, bring me out of my distresses." Ps 25:17. That really helped knowing that while I could listen to my girlfriends talk about all thief boy problems I was fine trying to focus on my goals.

"Now we have received the Holy Spirit, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit but whom is from God, that we may know the things that have been freely given to us by God" 1 Cor. 2:12   One of the greatest things the United States of America has is the right to education. Freedom!

It is an awesome thing when teacher can excite a child about learning.  Where is he now.  I don't know. What I do know is that we wrote letters until I graduated from high school. Every summer we would write and talk about the school year, the good, the bad, and the hopes and dreams.  I learned that teachers like any other person need encouragement.  They struggle with learning new things. They need to know that what they're doing is worth the price they pay. Even though I learned that teaching can get boring I still became one.


No comments:

Post a Comment

New 2022 Blogpost will begin In June